– George Black dies in a fatal car crash.
– Robert Ian Black is born in King’s Row, Paragon City. His mother, Rose Black dies in Childbirth. Robert is moved immediately into social service care. He is brought up in an orphanage for the next 18 years of his life. Throughout that time, he grows more and more violent, and confused. He has only one real passion that he hides from all the other people around him. Mythology.
– On his 18th birthday, Robert learns that his father, George, has left him $20, 000 in a trust account that he could not gain access to until this day. Robert decides to turn his life around, and uses the money to get himself into university to study ancient mythology of the civilised world, with an eventual goal of moving to Greece.
– Robert meets Maria DeMarco at Paragon University, Founder’s Falls. Maria becomes the most important thing in Robert’s life, he leaves the orphanage and moves into his own apartment using some of his father’s money.
–Maria’s father, Salvatore, begins to receive threats from a member of The Family, Frank “Knuckles” LaRusso. He demands protection money on Salvatore’s small store in King’s Row. Salvatore refuses to pay.
– Robert proposes to Maria. She says yes.
November, the evening of the 18th/morning of the 19th, 1989
– Robert leaves university one night after studying Charon, the boatman to the underworld in Greek mythology. He heads to King’s Row, where he parks his car and walks to Salvatore’s store, where Maria is shutting up shop. They begin to walk home. “Knuckles” LaRusso traps them in an alley. Robert is beaten into submission, and Maria is raped. Robert breaks free, but is held back. Because of his retaliation, Maria is murdered. Knuckles’ hired assassin then knocks Robert out with his quarterstaff, before dropping it down beside him. Robert has an unconscious delusion that he has been taken to the underworld. Charon, the ferryman over the river Styx, tells Robert he must go back to earth and bring evil to the underworld in his name, beginning first with those that murdered his fiancée. Charon tosses his rowing staff to Robert, just as he wakes up from this delusion in King’s Row medical centre. In the corner, he sees the staff he was knocked out with. He immediately picks it up and leaves the hospital, ignoring doctors pleads to stay in his bed. Robert then heads to the crime scene. He hears the mention of the name Frank LaRusso, and connections with the “Cloud 9” bar in Independence port. He immediately heads there; he kills all inside in a fit or rage, and burns the bar down. Frank LaRusso is not present.
The night after the fatal incident that created Charon, Salvatore DeMarco turns up at Robert's apartment, with a hitman named Black Jack in tow. Salvatore blaims Robert for his daughter's brutal death. Robert fights Black Jack, but gets shot in the back, and rushed to hospital. A man who has been watching him from the shadows, and wishes to train him, calls upon an old friend of Robert's who has been working on metallic spine technology to try and enable himself to walk. This man's name is John Richards. John uses his early spine technology to repair Robert's back.
November 1989 – March 1991
– Robert spends his time training to the peak of human physical ability, ironically while becoming an alcoholic, and becoming dependant on anti-depressants. Robert becomes an expert in wielding his staff, but favours learning street fighting and boxing over martial arts for when not wielding his weapon. No one except himself has ever known who trained him.
– Robert takes the name Charon, and dons his costume, operating out of his desolate apartment, now in ruin, and becomes a “hero” in Paragon City, obtaining a license simply through acting like a “do-gooder.” John Richards, now calling himself Omen to avoid police attention for being an accessory for to Charon's more violent viglanteism, becomes Charon's techman.
– Charon catches up with the final member of Frank “Knuckles” LaRusso’s gang on the night of his fiancée’s murder. Charon breaks his neck. Frank LaRusso and the hired assassin present on the night remain illusive.
– Charon meets another hero, Mr.D. Mr.D was once a truck driver called John Doe until the day Freakshow hijacked his nuclear waste carrying truck in such of crey super drugs. When they found none, they dumped John in the waste. In a rage, he murdered the hero who came to save him, and as a sign of respect when he came round, he took the hero’s name, Mr.D, and fought on as a vigilante. Charon and Mr.D team up and stop the Warriors and the Outcasts from going to war in the middle of Atlas Park at 3am. The two heroes part ways.
January 1992 – June 1998
– for the next six years Charon operates as a solo hero, slowly falling into a pit of depression and alcoholism. During this time, he mainly fights crime at street level, dealing with the growing threat of the street gangs known as The Hellions, The Skulls, The Outcasts and The Warriors from a abandoned apartment block in King’s Row, after abandoning his much smaller apartment. During this time, between dealing with street gangs, Charon conducts inquiries into The Family, trying to find Frank LaRusso, while also trying to bring them down one peg at a time. During these 3 years Charon teams up with Mr.D on 6 separate occasions, usually to do with gang wars.
Charon also during this time fights Black Jack, on three seperate occasions, as Black Jack is now determined to see Charon dead. Charon also fights a break off from the Hellions who have dabbled in some kind of strange magic, and turned themselves into Werewolves, killing their superiors and creating a break away street gang cell. Charon kills them all.
June 15th 1997
– Mr.D finds Charon on a rooftop, looking down. Mr.D manages to talk Charon out of suicide.
June 17th 1997
– Mr.D and Charon register themselves as a duo at Paragon City hall in Atlas Park. They produce licenses, and the fact that they are, between them, wanted for nine murders that the PCPD know about, is either overlooked, or never checked up on.
1997 – 2000
– Mr.D and Charon remain a duo, taking down street level crime such as the street gangs Charon waged war on during his six year solo career. They also start to take interest in the Fifth Column, although they were not known to be the Fifth Column at this time. Charon and Mr.D assume the Fifth Column to be a terrorist cell, and investigate. They get close to actually finding out the true identity of the militant group, but the cell they are investigating disappear before they can follow it up further.
– Mr.D and Charon burst into a Crey lab after they hear of a disturbance that they believe may involve something they have been investigating. It turns out that a man known as Patrick Solomon has begun attacking security guards after he has found out they abducted and experimented on his father years before, turning him into a cyborg. Mr.D, Charon, and Patrick fight off the guards, and they disappear, Patrick taking stolen technology he had been working on, ice producing gauntlets and a jet pack, and calling himself Ice Claw.
– Mr.D, Charon and Ice Claw register as a three-man team, The Bone Squad. Charon’s mental health improves with the creation of this new team. He feels bonds forming with these people, friendship is something he hasn't felt for years, even with Mr.D, who he saw as a convenience for a very long time. His attitude lightens slightly. He talks more.
– The three investigate their first major crime. An assassin known as Rabidus begins to kill random people in Galaxy City. The three investigate, and catch up with the assassin in a hotel. They find out that he is killing people as a distraction from a casino heist, taking place on the east side of Galaxy City. The assassin, although Charon doesn’t know it yet, is the one who killed his fiancée, and knocked him unconscious. Charon throws the assassin out of a 30th floor window for his crimes, and supposedly kills him when he lands on a car in the street below. Rabidus’ body disappeared. The Bone Squad rush to the east side, and stop the casino heist. It turns out the man behind it all is known as Frank “Knuckles” LaRusso. Charon attempts to kill him after learning his name, but Knuckles manages to escape with the aid of his Family goons. Mr.D and Ice Claw move into Charon’s abandoned apartment block, and it becomes the Bone Squad HQ.
– The Bone Squad stop an attempt by the snake mutant Pythos to poison the city water supply and turn the whole populace into snake people. The giant snake explodes, and destroys the water plant in The Aqueduct, King’s Row. The Bone Squad receives it’s first press attention – for destroying a vital water plant. During this mission they meet their 4th member, Skull Fire, a fire-creating mutant.
– The Bone Squad take out NightFire, a pyrokenetic mutant, having his mind controlled by the Rikti, who are at this time planning their invasion, from assassinating two major senators living in Paragon City. They fail to save the first politician that NightFire attempts to assassinate. During this time, Omen becomes a member of The Bone Squad. John Richards, who had left Charon's side for a period of around 5 years, joins the Bone Squad. Omen is now a disabled man using a massive suit he invented to enable him to walk, aswell as granting him super strength, and the power to leap long distances. With the help of Sen, another hero in the city, the Bone Squad take out NightFire in a daring last stand in the now-demolished Galaxy City clock tower, but not before he decapitates Skull Fire.
– With the help of legendary hero Maveric, an ex-member of the Dawn Patrol, The Bone Squad stop Frank LaRusso using Crey technology to control heroes minds to his own ends. Charon once again tries to kill Knuckles in a rage, but he escapes; The Bone Squad rescue hero Ventus from him.
– The Bone Squad stop a nightmare creature created by a small child in a coma from bringing out people’s nightmares. They also stop Knuckles from trying to control it, although he manages to slip through the net, once again.
– The Rikti invade. During the Rikti war, The Bone Squad is split. Ice Claw is separated from the rest, as is Omen, and the two of them are solo for the duration of the war. Mr.D and Charon stick together during the war, but Mr.D dies towards the end when he saves Charon from a collapsing bridge in Founder’s Falls, as Rikti and heroes fight on either side of it. Charon's mental health begins to deteriorate once more, the recurring nightmares he used to experience come back, and he finds himself once more addicted to drink and anti-depressants in the wake of Mr.D's death. He pushes people away and his attitude once again worsens.
Early December 2003
– The Bone Squad are reunited in the aftermath of the war, and heroine T.K. joins the team for a brief time. Together, Ice Claw, Charon, Omen and T.K., along with Blood Atonement member Ego, stop a Circle of Thorns plot to raise the many dead heroes who died in the rikti war as a ghost army to rule Paragon City, while they figure out a way to raise Oranbega from underneath Paragon City, to the surface.
Late December 2003
– T.K. leaves The Bone Squad. They meet Goldram, a survivor of the Rikti war, and he joins with The Bone Squad, with a lack of anywhere else to go. Dark, the student of 2000-year-old Skull seeks out Charon as a new mentor. Charon reluctantly takes him on as a student, and Dark joins The Bone Squad.
– Charon and Xanatos stop a plot by an old enemy of The Freedom Phalanx to frame Statesman for the murders of the original Golden Age members of the team.
– Charon, Xanatos, Tuetonic, Yin, BugBite, Ohms, The Green Knight and Rottweiler with the help of technical genius Joe, fight against the government that seeks to ban heroes after a superspeed hero went insane and raped 200 women. They succeed, and all heroes are re-instated. The military genius behind the plan is jailed.
Late Febuary - Early March 2004
– The Bone Squad stop a plot by a cult group of vigilantes. They believe in death for all criminals. They plan to wipe out all other vigilantes, as they believe they do not do their jobs well enough and leave too many criminals alive. The cult gathers a group of villains, bounty hunters and assassins, including Rabidus and insane villain Showtime, to hunt down the vigilantes and kill them. However the cult's real plan is too double cross both groups and to wipe out some of Paragon City’s major heroes and villains, leading the way for the cult to wipe out crime. The villains and Heroes, including the Bone Squad, Skull, and others, end up working together against the cult. Charon eventually manages to kill the leader of the cult, which then either goes underground, or disappears.
The Bone Squad also go to prison for a short time during this period, along with Skull, after being caught up with by the police for their many crimes, but actually being arrested for one they were framed for. Joe, technical genius, breaks them all out by over-riding the Ziggurat's security systems.
During this time Charon also faces Black Jack once again, this time even more of a gambling obsessive. He kidnaps the child of Xanatos and The Green Knight, Gwen, and forces Charon to play a game of Black Jack in order to get her back. Black Jack cheats, and Charon barely manages to save her, but she is returned safe and sound to Xanatos, and Black Jack is returned with four broken ribs to a mental asylum.
March 5th 2004
– Charon finally finds out Frank “Knuckles” LaRusso’s residence, and heads there in the middle of the night. He wakes up Frank holding 18 files full of incriminating evidence he has been gathering for over 10 years, and then drags him out of bed. Charon breaks both of Knuckles’ legs, and leaves him lying on his office floor, the incriminating evidence all around him.
March 7th 2004
– Joey LaRusso, the son of Frank, traces Charon back to his HQ. His father has been arrested, but surprisingly, Joey asks Charon to train him to be a hero to take down his father’s own organisation. Joey had never known his father was a gangster until the night of his arrest, and full of hatred, he asks Charon to train him to take on The Family. Charon reluctantly does so, and then retires, and disappears. Joey takes the name Noctis and joins The Bone Squad. Only Joey knows where Charon has gone, and refuses to tell the other members of the Bone Squad. At this point, Goldram and Dark disappear.
March – April 22nd 2004
– Noctis remains a hero and the Bone Squad fights on once more as a three-man team, taking on all manor of crime. But, that all comes to an end on April 22nd 2004, when the Rikti perform a much smaller, but deadly assault on the city. Charon, who has been holed up in a warehouse in The Aqueduct, King's Row, mentoring Noctis from the shadows, tells Noctis he isn't ready to deal with Rikti. Noctis simply replies "You'll never think I'm ready," and steps out into the street. He is immediately slaughtered by a rikti general. Noctis is one of the many heroes who dies fighting, Dark also dies at the hands of the rikti, trying to take on an immensely powerful rikti commander in Founder's Falls, at Skulls side. Goldram remains AWOL.
– Charon reappears in the city, sans staff. He fights on with simply his fists. He is solo for a short time. Omen, now carrying the name Pylon, is a hero in the city, although Charon has trouble tracking him down, he suspects another name change has taken place, either that, or Omen simply doesn't want to be found. Ice Claw appears to have disapeared in the wake of the second Rikti assault, although he is not dead. Goldram remains AWOL.
- Charon meets a telepath. First off they fight, as the young telepath believes Charon to be a threat. When the fight is at an end, Charon gives the telepath an option, Charon could either help him, or kill him. Of course the telepath chooses the former. They register the telepath as a hero under the name of Psylex. Charon then seeks out a heroine he has worked with on a few occasions and meets her on a rooftop. He invites this particular heroine, Sable Phoenix, to form the new Bone Squad with him and Psylex. Charon begins to realise he can't go on forever on his own. Sable Phoenix eventually agrees. he new Bone Squad is formed. During this time, Charon tracks down many former associates and invites them to join the new Squad. Makis, Icelander and Rottweiler join through Charon contacting them. The Bone Squad then set out to find a HQ. In their exploits, they find an abandoned warehouse with control tower in the King's Garment Works, King's Row. It's inhabitant, Wolf, reluctantly joins the Bone Squad after teaming up with them. During this time frame, Icelander finds a teenager who has been caught up in a Circle of Thorns ritual when attempting wiccan activities with friends. After seeing some kind of hallucigenic cat, the girl then morphed into some kind of demon, striking a resemblance to a cat, with the control of illusions, and the power to heal and ressurect others. She is nicknamed Catastrophy. The new Bone Squad is born.
Also, during this time, Charon tackles the Vahzilok Pollutant Plot, and the Clockwork Captive. He also fights and apprehends Dr. Vahzilok, although it is not known if this was the actual Dr. Vahzilok, or another of his undead clones.
During this time, Rabidus, believed dead after his plunge from 13th floor hotel window 2 years before, is spotted skulking on the rooftops in Independance Port.
It is announced that Omen died in the second Rikti invasion. Ice Claw has been spotted on numerous occasions after dark in Paragon.