City of Heroes Forums - CoH Guru

Go Back   City of Heroes Forums - CoH Guru > The Media Library > Comic Books

Old 03-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
Gold Rush
Roamer and a Wanderer

Default Even "Earth 2" is a letdown!

You know, I've been "clean and sober" from DC comics for a few months now. I heard about "Earth 2" and like many, I was a bit confused but fondly remembered all the "parallel universe" hijinks and even the stuff Roy Thomas set up in the 80's.

But now, I am seeing this...

Quote:
Written by JAMES ROBINSON; Art by NICOLA SCOTT and TREVOR SCOTT; Cover by GREG CAPULLO; 1:25 Variant cover by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO
• First issue of an ongoing series from writer JAMES ROBINSON and artist NICOLA SCOTT!
• Who are the heroes of EARTH 2 – and what befell them?
• Starring ALAN SCOTT, JAY GARRICK and many others!
• You may think you know Earth 2…but this is DC Comics – The New 52, where anything can happen!
• Don't miss the extra-sized debut issue!

* DC Universe
* 40pg.
* Color
* $3.99 US

On Sale May 2, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicsalliance
In the newly released design sketch by Jim Lee, we see Batman again bearing a stick-and wearing little holster's for them on his thighs, but the upcoming book's editor Pat McCallum teased the indentity of the character thusly, "Yeah, there is a Wayne under the mask."

The best guess for Earth Two Batman's identity is now probably the current "Earth One" Robin Damian Wayne, all grown up, as Bruce Wayne would be a senior citizen on Earth Two (he has a grown daughter in The Huntress, after all). McCallum also mentions that this Batman will kill his enemies and that "EARTH 2 is about to become a very bad place to be a bad guy." Ruthless crime-fighting and lethal force is something Damian Wayne has resorted to in the past... and in a past alternate future (Comics!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicsAlliance
Today DC released their next Earth Two character design, a Robin by Worlds' Finest artist Kevin Maguire:

Today's tease was accompanied by a few quotes from Earth Two writer James Robinson, confirming that it is indeed The Huntress Helena Wayne in the image, if the fact that her costume blends the current Huntress costume with Tim Drake's Robin costume wasn't enough of a clue (or the fact that we got a glimpse of Helena as Robin on a previously released cover for Worlds' Finest #1)

What else to we know about Earth Two, at this point? Only that Powergirl and The Huntress have come to the New 52iverse from there, PG was apparently Supergirl just as Huntress used to be Robin and what DC's original announcement said about the upcoming book: (This may be a new take on history, but this is *dead-wrong* from DC's past. PG was always PG and Helena was never ever Robin. The whole story was once Helena-2's Mother died (Catwoman) Bruce gave up the superheroing and did not want his family involved, especially his daughter. She had to do it secretly and started AS the Huntress, not Robin.)
Quote:
We previously saw a full-color version of Wondy's costume on Ivan Reis and Joe Prado's variant cover for Earth 2 #1. Here's Lee's design:

Although not in color, it does show us the whole shebang, including where she keeps her sword and what the tips of her boots are made out of (metal).

The Amazons are a traditionally luckless people, and their population has regularly been decimated, culled or exiled to different dimensions in the pages of Wonder Woman and various DC crossover stories, like Our Worlds at War and Infinite Crisis. Currently in the New 52iverse, they have all been turned to stone by Hera, making Wonder Woman the last Amazon on that Earth as well... at least until she figures out a way to de-petrify her people.

Quote:
As for Earth 2's Supergirl, she is, of course, Karen Starr, the Power Girl of the New 52iverse, as visually alluded to on the cover of Worlds' Finest #1. The book's editor, Will Moss, also makes clear that was indeed her sleeping with Michael Holt in the pages of short-lived New 52 title Mister Terrific:

As readers of MISTER TERRIFIC already know, Karen has been busy since she arrived on the main DCU Earth, creating a successful company and dating the brilliant Michael Holt. But what are her true motives behind those actions? How did she get here? And what incident prompts her to take up her new identity of Power Girl? Find out in WORLDS' FINEST #1!

Karen's Supergirl costume and character design comes courtesy of Kevin Maguire, one of the artists on the upcoming Worlds' Finest:

It seems to resemble a Super-ized version of the Power Girl costume, with a good-old-fashioned (if stylized and oversized) S-Shield in lieu of her, um, "boob window." Why the change from Supergirl to Powergirl? Why the change in costume? And why the dramatic new hairstyle?

We'll have to wait until May to find out.

It's about time Lee got out of the DC kitchen. While I was not expecting much, this really isn't the "bone" that many people were hoping for; this is just an alternative Earth on the same level as nu52!

Gold Rush
Gold Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #2
Noble
Keep Moving Forward

I like the female Robin. Makes more sense to me that it is a girl instead of a guy.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:54 AM   #3
Galactoman
Thread-Faced Killah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble View Post
I like the female Robin. Makes more sense to me that it is a girl instead of a guy.
Same here. Unsurprisingly, I like all of the Kevin Maguire designs and dislike all the Jim Lee designs.

I wouldn't really mind if Kevin Maguire drew every comic ever, whereas I don't think people should EVER let Jim Lee design costumes.

Galactoman - 50 Forcefield/Energy Defender
Human Flashbulb - 50 Illusion/Empathy Controller
Dynamic Dave - 50 Fire/Kinetics Controller
Volcanomancer - 50 Earth/Thermal Controller
Captain Starspot - 50 Peacebringer
Avichai - 50 Broadsword/Shield Scrapper
Flaming Golden Hawk - 50 Dual Blades/Fire Brute

Destructo-Man - 50 Wolf Spider
Baron Von Rotten - 50 Mercenaries/Traps Mastermind
Doctor Dastardly - 50 SS/Invuln Brute
Blinkback - 50 Kinetic/Willpower Stalker

...and a million-billion alts.
Galactoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
Nerfed
Out for a walk... bitch.

Send a message via AIM to Nerfed Send a message via Skype™ to Nerfed

I haven't touched a DC comic since the new crap started.

WHEEEEEEEEE!!
Old 03-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
Galactoman
Thread-Faced Killah

Now they're talking about hoe Earth-2 Superman's gonna' be way grittier and totes willing to kill people.

Why did DC become '90s Image? Especially when CURRENT Image is putting out a ton of great books!

Galactoman - 50 Forcefield/Energy Defender
Human Flashbulb - 50 Illusion/Empathy Controller
Dynamic Dave - 50 Fire/Kinetics Controller
Volcanomancer - 50 Earth/Thermal Controller
Captain Starspot - 50 Peacebringer
Avichai - 50 Broadsword/Shield Scrapper
Flaming Golden Hawk - 50 Dual Blades/Fire Brute

Destructo-Man - 50 Wolf Spider
Baron Von Rotten - 50 Mercenaries/Traps Mastermind
Doctor Dastardly - 50 SS/Invuln Brute
Blinkback - 50 Kinetic/Willpower Stalker

...and a million-billion alts.
Galactoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #6
Xanatos
IS COHGURU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactoman View Post
Now they're talking about hoe Earth-2 Superman's gonna' be way grittier and totes willing to kill people.

Why did DC become '90s Image? Especially when CURRENT Image is putting out a ton of great books!
Jim Lee given creative control.
Ongoing Story: The ERA of Challenge #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stec View Post
CoX doesn't stand for City of Heroes/Villains, it stands for City of Xanatos.
Xanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
Nerfed
Out for a walk... bitch.

Send a message via AIM to Nerfed Send a message via Skype™ to Nerfed

Is it too soon for me to start wishing the cancer on him?
Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
Maveric
Superior Human

i don't really keep up with DC these days but I really like the alternate Batman costume...
Maveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
Gold Rush
Roamer and a Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactoman View Post

Seems like Image and DC switched places in quality nowadays.

I am gonna speculate this is gonna be a limited series. The whole "Grim Superman" sorta harkens back to "Kingdom Come" and even "Infinite Crisis". It seems they are tying some loose, unexplored storylines that came before (like possibly Damian Wayne as Batman?). It's weird that Helena Wayne is Robin because, the whole Earth-2 schtick was her Mother died and her Father retired (from crime-fighting) and pretty much forbade his daughter from taking up crime-fighting. Making her Robin, even if it is to Dick/Damian, just kinda messes up that storyline/dynamic.

Also, kinda the same with Powergirl who is now "Supergirl". The whole notion of her introduction was basically someone who was "not" Supergirl but a "new" character (it's a bit complicated). IMO, Powergirl works well as Powergirl and not as Supergirl.

So. here's my speculation: This thing is just to introduce a nu52 origin for Earth-2 Helena Wayne (Huntress) and Kara Starr (Powergirl). This Nu52-Earth-2 is gonna blow up/collapse/sputter/die, but not before an "Infinite Crisis" happens. Then they'll transplant those two characters over to the "Main-nu52-Earth". In the meantime, Lee and Johns (and any others) will have fun exploring a divergent world that means *nothing* (and probably killing some characters along the way for shock value).

I may be wrong, but I am seeing some clues that this is mainly a vehicle to transport certain characters to nu52-Earth-whatevers and the "grim Superman" further enforces an "Armageddon" or possible "Crisis" to provide a Summer-blockbuster event for all those that are still reading nu52 comics. Although, sales have been sliding slowly from when they peaked during the wave of #1's.

PS : This may mean "nothing", especially in this light of "nu52" and I didn't read a whole lotta "Flashpoint", but before the intro of "Flashpoint", there was a story that sorta disregarded the new "52-parallel universes" dynamic that was established, or the knowledge of all those worlds and covered discovering the "old parallel worlds"; I forget where I read it. It definitely harkened back to pre-Crisis. At the time, I was thinking they would be bringing in that old element in a new way, but then Flashpoint and nu52 happened. While this may be some "great master plan", and we may see "nu52" be marked as a parallel world, I haven't seen any new evidence to that effect beyond the story I mentioned. This is me probably "spinning yarns" where there are no yarns to spin. I just mention it and will file it away for future consideration, even though I expect none will be forthcoming.

Gold Rush

Last edited by Gold Rush; 03-04-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
Gold Rush
Roamer and a Wanderer

That is all!

Oh no...something else comes to mind after seeing this newly designed Jay Garrick....

Gold Rush